You’ve spent weeks planning your special event, lining up catering, décor, and live entertainment. There’s just one item left on your to-do list: get your guests’ bathroom needs covered.
Waste services and portable toilets are a decisive factor in event set-up, determining whether or not your attendees feel comfortable and sanitary when attending a social gathering. There are several different portable bathroom types to be aware of, depending on guest needs and the occasion you’re coordinating.
In this quick guide, we’ll dive into the five types of portable toilets available to help get your special event ready before nature, and your guests come calling.
#1 Standard Portable Toilet
If you’ve ever been to a music festival or sporting event, you’ve likely come across standard portable toilets. That’s because standard porta-potty is among the most common types of a portable bathroom.
Standard portable toilets typically don’t come with sinks, and they don’t flush. That said, standard portable toilets are still spacious. The average standard portable toilet is between 43 and 46 inches wide and between 88 and 91 inches tall.
Additionally, a standard portable restroom offers the following benefits:
Given their price point and ease of use, these toilets are ideal for smaller gatherings and short-term events.
#2 Portable Toilet With Sink
Portable toilets with sinks, or deluxe flushable portable toilets, raise the comfort level of their standard counterparts by providing handwashing stations. Some may even include:
- Baby changing stations
- Side urinals
As a result, these deluxe portable toilets are typically larger than standard units. These work best for:
- Food festivals
- Construction sites
- Disaster relief base camps
- Events that feature young children
In other words, porta-potty with sinks and running water are ideal for events that require extra sanitation.
#3 ADA Handicap Toilet
Regardless of the event you’re holding, it’s always a smart idea to have ADA handicap toilets. This ensures any event guests with disabilities have access to larger, more user-friendly portable toilets.
Moreover, the ADA requires that handicap toilets comprise at least 5% of an event’s single-use portable toilet cluster. ADA handicap toilets are portable toilets that meet the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards. These guidelines regulate:
- Size – ADA handicap portable toilets must be spacious enough for people to make a 360-degree turn in a wheelchair. As a result, these portable toilets are usually between 60 and 70 inches wide.
- Construction – ADA handicap toilets must be flat on the ground to facilitate accessibility. Handicap toilets should also have grab bars and toilet paper within easy reach, and some also feature lower seats and slip-resistant materials. Finally, each ADA handicap toilet must feature an ADA-compliant placard.
- Doors – Standard portable toilet doors may be difficult to access for guests in wheelchairs. Ideally, ADA handicap portable toilets should feature magnetic or hinged doors for accessibility.
#4 High-Rise Portable Toilet
So far, we’ve discussed portable toilets that are ideal for events taking place at ground level. But what about events that take place in high-rise buildings or rooftops?
Enter: the high-rise portable toilet.
People rent high-rise toilets for events in buildings that have elevators like tall apartment buildings, skyscrapers, and difficult-to-access locations.
High-rise portable toilets typically have lifting brackets. This makes it easier for cranes to lift and place them into position. Many high-rise portable toilets feature rolling wheels to make them easier to transport.
#5 Portable Restroom Trailers
Portable restroom trailers resemble public restrooms in their size, scope, and function. As a result, these large, luxurious portable toilets typically feature:
- Flushing toilets
- Soap dispensers
- Trash receptacles
Given their expanded capabilities and amenities, portable restroom trailers are ideal for formal events. These events include weddings, graduations, corporate events, and other formal ceremonies.
Choosing the Best Portable Toilet for Your Event
Now that you know the differences between portable toilet types, let’s discuss how to choose the best possible model for your event.
To gauge which portable toilets best meet your needs, consider the following factors:
- Event size – If your event has a smaller headcount, you may be able to stock standard or high-rise portable toilets. However, larger events may require portable restroom trailers.
- Event formality – For informal events like concerts and backyard parties, a standard portable restroom may suffice. For more formal events, consider portable toilets with sinks or portable restroom trailers, which can enhance guests’ hygiene.
- Guests – Regardless of your event, you’ll need ADA handicap toilets. However, you may need more of them if you’re expecting guests with disabilities or an older crowd. If your event will be attended by families, consider reserving portable toilets suitable for parents with small children.
Rent Portable Toilets for Every Event with ASAP Site Services
Weddings, fundraisers, tailgate parties—every successful event host must balance guest comfort and practicality. And when nature calls, the restrooms you offer will determine whether or not guests need to contain their excitement (among other things).
ASAP Site Services offer every type of portable toilet rental for any type of occasion you may be hosting. We work with providers in your area to deliver the toilets you need, even if it’s just two days before your event.
Whether you need a standard model or portable restroom trailer with the works, we’re here to make your event a success, one flush at a time.
- Porta Potty Rental Guide. Types of Porta Potties. https://www.portapottyrentalguide.com/types/
- U.S. Access Board. Guide to the ADA Accessibility Standards. https://www.access-board.gov/ada/guides/chapter-6-toilet-rooms/